Gluten Free Adventure

Monday, August 10, 2015

I'm back on a gluten free diet thanks to my lovely immune system. I've quickly learned that success requires preparation.

It hasn't been half bad - I'm a week in and here are few of my favorite things to prep, devour etc.


Breakfast Smoothie With Kale
1 Frozen Smoothie Baggie + 8 oz Apple Juice

  • 1/2 banana
  • 1/3 cup blueberries
  • 2-3 apple slices
  • 1 frozen mini muffin serving of kale (blended and frozen fresh kale into mini muffins)
  • 2 frozen lumps of greek yogurt 


I froze the fresh Kale from the garden at work by blending it with a bit of water - 2 large bowls full (after stemming) turned into a nice bit of frozen kale. I poured it into my mini muffin pan, and then bagged it for smoothies with the rest of the ingredients. I used the same process for the yogurt - scooping it into the mini muffin pan, freezing, then adding those frozen lumps to the smoothie bag.

The result is a purple smoothie that tastes pretty great - and packs a healthy-ish punch (perhaps a bit too much sugar from the juice)

Cabbage with Ginger Yum = Coleslaw-ish

I'm not a big coleslaw fan, but this super easy recipe is delicious. I added quite a bit more ginger, and about 1/2 the oil. I was licking the spoon, and can't wait to eat this for lunch this week.

Cabbage (any cored and 1/2 sliced)
1/4 Cup of Rice Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Oil (Veg, or other)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon + of minced ginger
Pinch of salt

Toss, rest for 10 mins and serve or eat later.


Gluten-Free Zucchini Muffins

I picked up a back of Almond flour for 7.99 at Aldi's - I was a bit surprised by the price, but I thought I'd give it a go.

This weekend I used the almond flour to make both some delicious muffins and a pineapple upside down cake.

Here are the recipes -- NOTE: I did not use coconut flour, but added additional almond flour in the quantity requested.

http://www.theroastedroot.net/almond-flour-gluten-free-zucchini-muffins-guest-post/


Pineapple Upside Down Cake
I traditionally do not like to eat pineapple, but most of my experiences have been with the canned variety. Lately, we have been on a bit of a pineapple kick - with a delicious pineapple salsa by Cooks Illustrated (Pineapple (roasted) + Dice Red Pepper + Cilantro = amazing.) I had purchased a super cheap Pineapple at Kroger last week and hadn't gotten around to chopping it up.
I whipped up this delicious cake using fresh pineapple & just the almond flour. It turned out super moist - so maybe next time thinner pineapple slices or more flour.



http://www.savingdessert.com/2012/03/pineapple-upside-down-cake-gluten-free/

0 comments:

Our Table for Two Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino